Diamond Engagement Rings
A unique engagement ring might just be the most important piece of gold jewelry you buy in your whole life. There are an incredible amount of beautiful and unique engagement rings for women that you can choose from. Make sure you fully understand your options for diamonds and gold engagement rings before you make your purchase. Ensure you’re able to pop the big question with confidence.
History and importance of engagement rings
The engagement ring is a concept of huge cultural importance, almost everywhere around the world.
The Romans initiated the tradition, usually with yellow gold engagement rings or even iron options. It was a sign of ownership. Nowadays, it’s more of a sign of everlasting love. In fact, in the year 850, Pope Nicholas I said that a gold engagement ring had an official signal and meaning - the intent to marry.
Diamond engagement rings are incredibly popular, but this popularity only really grew in the 1940s. Some people are moving away from diamond engagement ring styles and using other gemstones, but diamonds are still by far the most common stone.
Most rings carry the symbolism of something everlasting. The ring itself has no end, which is meant to show your love and commitment for the person you give it to.
How to choose the perfect gold engagement ring
Choosing the perfect diamond engagement ring is a tricky task. The best engagement ring depends on the person you are buying it for, and you need to consider the following factors.
Set your budget
You could spend millions on an engagement ring if you had the money. This isn’t realistic for most people and you will have a budget in mind. Simple and unique engagement rings don’t always cost a fortune and they can still provide you with a beautiful unique look.
Select diamond by shape
The shape of the diamond cut is very important to how it shines and the diamond engagement rings style:
- Round. Round engagement rings are the most popular historically. The round cut gives a vibrant shimmer to the diamond and helps to showcase it. The eye is drawn to the round centerpiece.
- Asscher. Asscher cuts are similar to emerald cut diamond engagement rings, but with a square cut instead of a rectangle.
- Princess cut. Princess cut diamond engagement rings are specifically designed to showcase color and glimmer in an exciting and vibrant way. For a statement ring, many people opt for the princess shape of the diamond and choose eternity rings for a greater shine .
- Cushion. Cushion cut diamonds are called this because of their resemblance to a cushion or pillow, they have an amazing brilliance due to the way they are cut, with no harsh edges.
Choose diamond engagement rings settings
- Halo. This consists of pavé-set diamonds that sit on the band and give an elegant look. They can make diamonds appear bigger.
- Prong. A prong setting for your diamonds is a classic way to showcase the stone and raise it from the ring. Solitaire rings can come in basket or trellis prong settings.
- Bezel. Bezel settings give a stylish, modern look and protect and showcase the diamond by creating a border all the way around it.
- Cluster. This means multiple diamonds set together on the ring. A cluster setting can be extremely glamorous and show off all those amazing stones.
Consider metal options
Different styles of gold rings are available and can give you a few options to alter the look and suit your fiance's style. White gold engagement rings are very popular and provide a good look for those with a pale complexion. You can use rose gold or white gold engagement rings to suit olive skin and darker complexions. Our designer diamond engagement ring sets provide a choice for everyone.
White gold engagement ring is often seen as a more contemporary option, it has become popular in recent years, but yellow gold is classic, and has been popular for hundreds of years. An overview of the metal options can be found below. Remember that diamonds tend to look superb with any type of gold engagement ring.
- Yellow gold. Classic and timeless. Yellow gold suits most skin types but especially darker complexions and olive skin.
- White gold. White gold engagement rings are great for pale complexions or anyone who wants a modern, contemporary feel.
- Rose gold. More unusual for gold engagement rings, but a modern look nonetheless.
How to care for your unique engagement rings
Diamond engagement rings require a few considerations for their care and even cleaning. Storing and caring for them is very important:
- Keep them in their own box when not being used, not with other jewelry. Diamonds can scratch other diamonds or gemstones.
- Take your diamond bands off when you are doing strenuous activity or coming into contact with any chemicals. Even doing the washing up.
- Clean your diamonds regularly.
To clean, you can soak diamond rings in warm water with a very mild soap solution for 20-30 minutes. Do this a maximum of a couple of times a week, but even every month or so will be a good way to reinvigorate the sparkle. If your diamond has any dirt or grime build-ups you can also use a very soft brush such as a kids toothbrush to clear these.
Choosing between all of the types of gold engagement rings should be a fun activity, not something that scares you. Arm yourself with as much information as you can before deciding on buying gemstone ring, cut and gold style, to ensure that you buy the right engagement ring for the woman in your life, which she can wear and treasure forever.