Diamond Wedding Bands
The decision of which wedding bands to buy is a choice to make before your big day. You have a number of options, including beautiful handmade gold wedding rings, specific engravings and beautiful, diamond wedding bands to mark your marriage day. You’re going to be wearing your gold wedding band for the rest of your life, so ensure you get the right diamond wedding bands for you and for your partner.
What do wedding rings symbolize
What is a wedding band anyway? A wedding ring symbolizes love and devotion. It is an iconic symbol of the love and agreement between the two people. Wedding rings are a huge part of Christianity, but they are used by people both religious and not, the tradition is known all over the world.
Why are gold wedding rings placed in the fourth finger?
People used to believe that a vein ran from the fourth finger of your left hand all the way to your heart. Though this is now known not to be true, the fictional “vena amoris” or “love vein” has still been used to this day. The tradition continues.
The hidden meaning of the wedding band is eternal love. A circular shape is a deliberate decision as it symbolizes that love should have no end.
Types of Wedding Rings
- Platinum wedding rings. The sturdiness and durability of the platinum wedding ring make this metal popular among those who want engravings or detailed patterns.
- Yellow gold wedding rings. Yellow gold wedding rings are often seen as the most traditional, but the most classy designs of wedding rings.
- White gold wedding rings. Many people prefer white gold wedding bands, and it may be that you opt for white gold as it is a better match for your engagement ring.
- Plain. A plain wedding ring means it is not embellished with any sorts of gemstones.
- Diamond set. This means that the design may encompass diamonds. Often, diamond wedding bands have smaller stones all the way around the ring itself.
- Shaped wedding bands. A shaped diamond wedding band isn’t necessarily perfectly round, and can include a fishtail or curved section as part of the detail, to give a more unique wedding band look.
- Contemporary diamond wedding bands. A contemporary band may take advantage of some of the newer technologies that are accessible, such as more textured designs, or those with intricate detailing that was harder years ago.
How to choose perfect diamond wedding bands
- Decide upon the quality. A higher karat rating may be better, but keep in mind that if you are looking to include gemstones then you might well want something that is 14k, the optimum rating for diamond wedding bands.
- Set your budget. How much do you have to spend on a wedding ring? Many people spend more on the engagement ring, but it is still a good idea to get a high-quality wedding ring that will last you a lifetime.
- Decide upon style. Any of the styles mentioned above can give a beautiful, designer wedding ring option, but you will know what you prefer. Do you want something with a unique, contemporary shape, or are you looking for traditional, elegant gold wedding rings?
- Fit your engagement ring.
- The two need to go together. Your wedding ring will go on the same finger as your engagement ring and for this reason, you should make sure they stack, and that they look good together. If you have a white gold engagement ring, you might want to get a white gold wedding ring too.
- Match your partner’s gold wedding ring. Men's and women's gold wedding rings sometimes come as a pair, so you can both have the same style. This definitely makes for a better photo opportunity!
How to measure your wedding ring size
It is important that you know exactly how to size wedding rings, or you have this done professionally, before you make a purchase.
There are a few different options to determine your ring size. You can measure your ring size in inches or mm. You can also opt to get a specific ring sizer, available from jewelers as this can help you to determine your exact size before you make the purchase. You can even get printable measurers if required.
To measure gold wedding rings' size with tools you have in the home, you can take a piece of string and wrap it around the finger as if it were a ring. Mark the start and endpoints of the string, and measure this with a ruler to give you the circumference of a ring. A ring size chart can then tell you which size to purchase based on your circumference measurement.
How to match your ring with your wedding dress
You will want your gold wedding ring to look perfect with your dress, and in the photographs that you will keep forever. If you go to the expense of buying diamond wedding bands, ensure they look spectacular on the day.
Luckily, the relative simplicity of engagement and gold wedding rings and the beautiful white design of wedding dresses means that the vast majority will go together with no problems at all, so it is down to your personal preference, but there are some guidelines to help.
- Unique dresses and brides who are going against tradition might opt for modern gold wedding rings design such as a halo or an unusual cut.
- A bride looking for a sophisticated dress might go for a simple princess cut diamond wedding band in white gold.
- A more classical dress with a timeless feel may require a delicate wedding ring.
- If your dress is a real showstopper, try to get a wedding ring to match this, with extravagant diamonds or gemstones and a large, loud design.
Caring for your diamond wedding bands
Some people think that diamond wedding bands, or other diamond jewelry, does not require any maintenance. This is wrong, as the jewels need to be cleaned, as does the gold wedding rings.
Periodically use warm water and some mild soap without chemicals in it. This allows you to clean the ring of any grimy buildups. If needed, you can use a very soft, unused toothbrush, to clear out any specific areas where dirt and grime has built up within the wedding ring. You can also submerge it in water for up to 30 minutes to soak away the dirt. You won’t need to do this particularly often.
If you are not wearing your gold wedding ring for any reason, keep it safe and secure within a specific box, where the humidity can be controlled and where it won’t be exposed to the elements. Specifically, keep it away from any sorts of chemicals.